Dr. Boxer talks about why he loves his new practice model and how it allows him to be the 'country doctor' that he always wanted to be...
Dr. Boxer talks about the use of knee injections to help treat osteoarthritis and knee pain
Dr. Boxer talks about how he tackles weight loss and the benefits to his patients
Dr. William P. Boxer was raised in Millburn, New Jersey and graduated from Millburn High School in 1989. He earned his B.A. with Honors in Biopsychology from Lafayette College in Easton, PA in 1993, and then went on to earn his MD from Upstate Medical Center in Syracuse, NY, in 1997. He completed his Internship and Residency in Internal Medicine at the prestigious Boston University Medical Center in Boston, MA. He earned board certification in internal medicine in 2000.
After residency, Dr. Boxer was recruited to join the prestigious Upper East Side New York City practice of Dr. Jay Adlersberg, rheumatologist, and celebrity WABC Eyewitness Channel 7 News Physician Correspondent. He quickly became the Director of Internal Medicine, Osteoporosis, and Infusion Management for the Joint Pain Center of New York. During this time, he actively managed the on-site intravenous infusions of biological medications such as Remicade, Reclast, and Orencia for thousands of patients over 15 years. He quickly built his reputation as an osteoporosis expert, and as a superb primary care physician with a knack for medically complex patients. In 2010, he was elected to be Fellow of the American College of Physicians, and he was chosen by his peers as a Castle Connolly Top Doctor in internal medicine for 5 years in a row. He was honored to be named to the prestigious New York Magazine's Best Internal Medicine Doctors in 2014.
Since 2015, Dr. Boxer continued his superb primary care practice at the Phelps Medical Group in Dobbs Ferry, NY. A large number of his primary care and osteoporosis patients from New York City and beyond, continued to see him at his Dobbs Ferry location. He loves doing “town hall” presentations to groups of seniors at local nursing homes on a variety of topics.
After 20 years of practice in the New York City/Westchester area, Dr. Boxer has finally decided to come home to the great state of New Jersey! He is finally fulfilling his lifelong dream of being a local "country" Doctor! He has built an inviting private office located in his Pennington, NJ home where he will see well patients by appointment. He will also perform telemedicine visits, and will make local house calls for both sick and well patients.
During the Covid-19 pandemic, Dr. Boxer volunteered for urgent deployment at King's County Hospital in Brooklyn, NY where he cared for Covid-19 patients on the frontlines. He was so grateful to help these patients and he will continue to practice hospital-based medicine by working as a part time hospitalist at our local Capital Health Hospital in Hopewell, NJ.
When not practicing medicine, Dr. Boxer enjoys cycling, watching the Yankees, listening to Country music, as well as crafting his own maple syrup from his home farm, but most of all, he loves spending time with his lovely wife Kim, and his 5 beautiful children!!
In addition to primary care, Dr. Boxer can help you with a variety of clinical challenges:
1. Osteoarthritis of the knee. Dr. Boxer has performed knee injections and other joint injections for 20 years. He has been an early and avid proponent for the use of Zilretta for osteoarthritis of the knee since FDA approval in 2017. If you have osteoarthritis in your knee, Zilretta combined with weight loss, exercise and physical therapy can significantly improve joint pain and quality of life.
2. Osteoporosis. Dr. Boxer is an osteoporosis expert and has been using state of the art medications such as Reclast, Forteo, Tymlos and Prolia for decades. He is dedicated to developing an individualized treatment plan for you that will help reduce and prevent fracture.
3. Smoking Cessation. Dr. Boxer has a lifelong proprietary approach which combines aggressive counseling plus appropriate medication to combat this deadly addiction. His program has an elite success rate of 75% at one year.
4. Obesity. Dr. Boxer is aggressive with both dietary and medication approaches to combat obesity. He will partner with you to develop an individualized treatment plan for weight loss. Just 10% weight loss can lead to dramatic benefits for you in regards to your risk of cardiovascular disease, diabetes, and can improve quality of life.
5. Obstructive Sleep Apnea. Dr. Boxer is passionate about the critical role of sleep apnea in obesity, hypertension, stroke, atrial fibrillation, and chronic fatigue. Convenient at-home sleep studies can diagnose this deadly condition. Diagnosis and treatment of sleep apnea has been a life-saving game changer for many of his patients.